Wednesday 21 March 2012

Review: The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey #2) by Julie Kagawa
Released: May 2011
Publisher: MIRA Ink
Rating: 4/5

**This is the second book in the series and therefore the description and my review may contain spoilers for the first book**

Goodreads description:

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.
Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

My thoughts:

I find this series so addicting; once you pick it up it's really hard to put back down. I flew through this book, desperate to find out what happens in the aftermath of The Iron King.

We start off with Meghan in the Winter Court, having been brought there after her contract with Ash. I found Meghan especially annoying during this time. She already knows that she and Ash cannot be together, that she really shouldn't reveal the extent of their feelings for each other, yet she pretty much goes and does it anyway! She also cried a lot in this book and that annoyed me too. I really wanted to tell her to pull herself together and get a grip.

Prince Ash was back to his frozen self, yet you get hints of his true feelings for Meghan throughout. I didn't really find this totally realistic, I think it was too obvious how he felt for Meghan all the way through. If I'm honest, I don't think Julie Kagawa is that strong a writer. Her stories are imaginative and engaging and full of adventure, but they're let down by the way they're told. I never felt the relationship between Ash and Meghan to be totally realistic, and whilst it definitely improves the longer it goes on, I was never fully convinced.

However, the plot really saves this book. Forced to flee the winter court into the mortal realm, needing to recover a stolen object to avoid all out war, I was totally riveted. I loved everything about the plot, it was action packed, with rest stops when we needed them, with a host of colourful characters both new and returning. I really loved Leannansidhe, she was a personal favourite of mine. Ironhorse too, excelled in this book.

The end blew me away; I don't think I expected that AT ALL and it made me very glad I already had The Iron Queen waiting for me ;)

This is the sort of series you fly through, desperate for the answers and I love that about it. Whilst I do take issue with the writing and some of the characters, the complex worldbuilding and well crafted storylines really save it for me. I'm glad I decided to give this series a shot.

9 comments:

  1. I liked this series quite a bit and especially the whole idea of where the story came from!

    *****SPOILER*************
    It came from the legend that faeries were born from dreams of humans and Julie Kagawa thought that what if the Iron Fey were born from dreams of technology and advancement!!
    *************************************

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Iron Daughter was awesome!! I had gotten the first 3 books in anticipation of The Iron Knight. I am glad I waited to read the series. It would have been torture waiting for each one I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree with you about the beginning at the Winter Court & the plot--she has a lot of twists up her sleeves. Can't wait to see what you think of the third (& fourth, if you choose to read it) book(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see how some might be adverse to Ash and Meghan's relationship, but LET ME TELL YOU, CAIT, I am positive that you will fall under the spell of this romance in The Iron Queen. I don't know a single person, even between the most skeptical, critical of souls, that didn't fall for Ash in The Iron Queen.

    I loved the action in this one! Intensity is the word for what goes down in this one. AND I LOVED IRONHORSE. If I didn't love both Ash and Puck, I'd so be Team Ironhorse. He's just da bomb. Love that guy. SO GLAD YOU'RE LOVING THIS SERIES. One of my all-time faves, especially in the faery department, since they're on my fictional creatures faves list. :D

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww sorry that you didn't really buy into Ash/Meghan's relationship, but I AM glad that the plot kepy you totally hooked! She never fails to have some new obstacle looming around the corner and I love how there's always..... SOMETHING! Loved Leannansidhe and Ironhorse too!

    Heh, I know you've read The Iron Queen already, so I'm wondering if you were shaking or nodding your head when reading what Asher wrote in her first paragraph hahaha. I guess we shall see! Awesome review, m'dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't really fall for Ash...I mean, I did a little bit but he's far from the top of my book boyfriends list....just not enough character development for me!

      Delete
  6. Hi Caitlin!! Saw your comment on Molli's blog for the Once Upon A Blogger post :) Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm a new follower, hope you found my blog to your liking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol forgot to mention how curious I am of this series. People keep saying it's super good. But I haven't gotten to reading it, nor do I have copies of the book yet. I have so many books piled up that I need to read.

      Delete
  7. Yeah these books really are plot driven! I didn't expect the ending either, and I bought The Iron Daughter as soon as it was out - the wait until The Iron Queen was torture! :p

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to blogger making it easy for us to reply to comments I will now be replying where possible, so if you comment be sure to check back! =]