Saturday 28 July 2012

Contemprary Summer Guest Post: Beverley from A Reading Daydreamer


Today I have the lovely Beverley from A Reading Daydreamer  who will be sharing some of her early and recent favourite contemp reads with us!!

-------


Firstly, I'd like to thank Cait for inviting me to take part in her and Liz's fabulous Contemporary Summer Event.  I love reading contemporary and it's one of my favourite genres so I'm delighted to be here to tell you about how I started reading contemp and some of the first ones I read!

I first started reading contemporary fiction when I began my first year at secondary school.  Unlike my primary school, my secondary school has the most amazing library which is always updated with new books and during my first year, I went there everyday at break!  Contemporary novels first caught my attention since they always seem to have the loveliest, prettiest covers and I found the characters more easy to relate to as they are just like everyday people in a surrounding which I'm familiar with.  The transition from a tween to a teenager can sometimes be difficult - there's the move to new and bigger schools, the sudden pressure of having to be more organised and forming new friendships while not trying to miss old friends too much.  It was almost as if I found comfort in contemporary novels and I especially enjoyed the ones where the characters dealt with the same issues and problems that most teen readers will probably face.  Here are just some of the first contemporary novels I read:

Angus,
Thongs and Full-frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1)Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison

I remember my friend read the whole series before I got my hands on the first book and since she loved them so much, I was eager to give them a go.  And boy, I wasn't disappointed.  I adored this book - Georgia is so witty and hilarious and it captures teenage life perfectly!  If you haven't read this, you are seriously missing out: I remember laughing all the way through the book!
http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327927523l/2149386.jpg
Six Steps to a Girl by Sophie McKenzie


This was first recommended these books by a friend and as soon as I picked up the book, I fell in love with Luke instantly and I adored how the book was told from his point of view.  This was the first contemp I'd read where the romance was told by a male character and it was a refreshing change!


This Way To Paradise by Cathy Hopkins

Cathy Hopkins has written loads of contemporary fiction and this was my first and my favourite. It deals with growing up, moving away from friends and of course, boys! It's also partly set on a Greek island so the atmosphere is divine and very summery!

And here's some I read recently and enjoyed and think you should read too:
 
Bunheads by Sophie Flack

BunheadsI ADORED this book so much - I loved how it was
set in the world of ballet and it was just a great eye-opener! It has a 'backstage' feel which throws the reader into strenuous ballet lessons and enchanting performances!

The Statistical Probability of Love at First SightThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

This was my most recent contemp read and while I didn't love it as much as I thought I would, I still thoroughly enjoyed it.TSPOLAFS has such a unique premise and I love how it was set over 24 hours.  And Oliver... ohmigosh OLIVER!!! I adored his gentlemanly charm and he's now one of my favourite fictional boys!
 
 
 
What were your first contemp reads?

2 comments:

  1. Statistical Probability! Love!! <3 Um... I repeat what Beverly said.. "ohmigosh OLIVER!!!" It's not even just the sexy British accent (oh stop it, Cait, you and your sexy voice!), he just had that beautiful, charming, intelligent aura to him that just... sigh.

    Ooh and I'm super intrigued by Angus, thongs and full-front snogging! Title alone is attention-grabbing :D But a witty and hilarious heroine? I AM SO THERE! I'm also loving the sound of a male POV from Six Steps to a Girl!

    Fantastic recommendations, I will definitely be checking these out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Georgia Nicolson series, so great and hilarious! really liked TSPoLaFS too...Oliver <3. Will have to check out the rest, like the sound of Six Steps to a Girl! Fab post, thank you :).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to blogger making it easy for us to reply to comments I will now be replying where possible, so if you comment be sure to check back! =]