Tuesday 7 January 2014

My Best Books of 2013


I can't believe we're in 2014! I'm a little late with this, but here it is nonetheless. My favourite 10 books of 2013:



I love Maggie Stiefvater's books and this is no exception. There was so much character development in the second instalment of the The Raven Cycle, especially on Ronan's part, and it was told with Maggie's characteristic beautiful style. Cannot wait to see where this series goes.



I was a bit late to the Grisha party, only reading Shadow & Bone this year, ahead of the release of the sequel, but both books definitely deserve their place on my list. I love the Russian-inspired feel and, of course, The Darkling (and let's not lie, Sturmhond). Totally addictive reading.



I'm a little ashamed to admit I haven't read many of Neil Gaiman's books. I found The Graveyard Book to be totally unexpected: weird, whimsical, yet oddly touching. I got a little lump in my throat at the end and, embarrassingly, I was on the tube at the time.



The Kate Daniels series is one I've been aware of for many years but only read, twice actually, this year. I don't know why I waited so long because it is perfect for me, urban fantasy at it's best with a kick-arse female protagonist, a hostile, magic-filled world and the slowest of slow-burning romances. 



A real surprise for me, I genuinely didn't expect to like this book much, I read it purely because every single one of my favourite authors has, at some point or another, recommended it on Twitter. I was immediately drawn in and totally bowled over by this stunning and emotional read. 



This list is full of surprises. Full of the books I didn't think I'd even like and then ended up loving. Maybe they're more memorable somehow, or maybe they're all just awesome. Geek Girl is one of those awesome book series; it's just so completely appealing. It's funny (genuinely, really funny) with likeable, memorable characters and a perfect level of emotional depth. The blogosphere has completely embraced Holly Smale and her books and so have I.



The 1950s New Orleans setting really appealed to me and it was gritty and atmospheric and absolutely perfect for this emotional mystery, full of interesting characters.



 Yet another surprise. I don't think I can express to you how much I am addicted to this series. I've made bloggers read it. I've made my boyfriend read it. I feel like sometimes, it's all I talk about. It's a masterpiece of middle grade fiction. Please, go and read them. No, seriously, READ THEM. 




One of the few 2013 debut novels I read, but definitely one of the best books I read last year. Magical and melodious with complex and interesting characters in a complex and interesting world. Fearsome Dreamer is a favourite amongst my favourites 



2013 was the year of Rainbow Rowell.While Attachments had been out a few years and E&P was released in the UK last year, 2013 is the year that RR really exploded in popularity. I read all three of Rainbow's books last year, and I just feel awed and the amount of emotion she managed to pack into all her books: from bittersweet young love, to fond nostalgia, you will literally experience everything ever with Rainbow's books. If you haven't already, I urge you to read them. All of them.  


What were your best books of 2013?

8 comments:

  1. I absolutely adored Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and I need to read Code Name Verity, because I've heard such great things about it. :)

    Suz @ A Soul Unsung
    Blogging Goals for 2014
    Book Gossip for the Soul: December (Christmas) Book Haul

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about Fangirl and Eleanor & Park. Both were really great reads.The Dream Thieves was great as well. Great list, Cait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome list! The Dream Thieves made my list too! I loved Shadow and Bone and Siege and Storm. Code Name Verity was also really great. The rest on your list, I need to read. I'm excited to see what 2014 brings!

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Dream Thieves, Out of the Easy, Rainbow Rowell's and Holly Smale's books too :) And really, who actually needs to talk about anything but Skulduggery Pleasant. They're amazing. I am a Skulduggery convert ;) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I need to read the Grisha series and some Neil Gaiman! Loved Eleanor and Park, but I didn't want to read all her books at once so I'm spacing them apart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list - totally agree with Attachments and Eleanor and Park, I haven't read Fangirl yet, oh and Geek Girl, I love that series so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2013 was definitely my missing in action year. I look at these lists and sigh at all the great books I need to catch up on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to blogger making it easy for us to reply to comments I will now be replying where possible, so if you comment be sure to check back! =]